With the Winter Olympics in full swing, we can’t help but admire the determination, grit and hard work that all the athletes have put in to perform at the top level. It is so inspiring to see how hard work can pay off, and fun to imagine ourselves in the shoes of these top competitors.
That got us to thinking–we may not ever be able to compete in the giant slalom at the Olympic level, but what does it take for someone to reach their personal best?
We came up with 5 things that can help you work towards even your loftiest goals:
1. Be Optimistic: Researchers have found Olympic athletes, their coaches and family members to be highly optimistic–if you don’t believe in yourself and your own abilities, who will?
2. Be Growth-Oriented: February is the month where we abandon many of our New Year’s resolutions. It can be frustrating to set goals only to give up on them a few weeks later. That’s why we recommend being growth-oriented rather than goal-oriented. If you take baby steps and celebrate every moment of growth, you will be well on your way to achieving your best.
3. Play to Your Strengths: Unless you are the shirtless man from Tonga, you probably won’t be able to compete in both the Summer and Winter Olympics. Identify where your strengths lie, and if you’re not sure then ask a close friend or family member. Once you zero in on what you are good at, pursue it with enthusiasm.
4. Practice Mindfulness: Although this may seem like a fad, many Olympic athletes have great success practicing mindfulness. This doesn’t mean you have to meditate everyday, rather, think of it as, “ a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment.” (Merriam-Webster)
5. Love the Grind: Competitions, performances or big presentations may be thrilling, but they are just the cherry on top. Think of the countless hours of practice and preparation that set you up for success when the moment comes. If you only enjoy the final competition or presentation, it is difficult to stay motivated throughout the daily grind. Find a way to appreciate and even relish your day-to-day, and your Personal Gold will be within your sights before you know it.
Enjoy these last few days of the Olympics, and let us know what helps you achieve your Personal Gold!
Ride for the Brand,